Listed Buildings -> Ball's Hall

(Information originally supplied by Wrexham County Borough Council Planning Office dated 18/10/96)

Ball's Hall   Grade II

Awaiting photograph

Location: Burton   Postcode: LL12 0HY

Set amidst open farmland 1km north-east of Burton Road. Reached by a private track which leaves Burton Road at its junction with Rosemary Lane and Burton Hall Road to traverse an open field.

History

Built as the home of Captain Thomas Ball who married into the Santhey family, the major estate owners of Burton who resided at Burton Hall. Thomas Ball settled in Burton as early as 1648 and Ball's Hall is believed to have been completed in 1650 from an inscription above the fireplace. It came with an estate of 49ha in Burton and 31ha in Llay known as Ball's Wood. In 1651 Thomas Ball was made High Sheriff of Denbighshire.

Exterior

Two-storey, brown brick house of C17 origins and C19 remodellings; C19 open lean-to eastern end. Large stepped brick chimney stack to eastern end. Small-pane 3-light wooden casement windows to 4-window main front; later squared to right. Dentilated brick cornice. Later gabled to left.

Interior

Timber framed passage way runs the length of the house. End gables to first floor reveal heavy crucks. Wide floor boards and boarded doors with strap hinges. Principal feature is inscription above original fireplace which reads 'TB 1650 MB'.

Listed Description

Listed as a good example of a mid C17 yeomans house with historical associations.

 

Comments

No Comments have been Posted.

Post Comment

Please Login to Post a Comment.
events: qzamco