Listed Buildings -> Darland Hall

(Information originally supplied by Wrexham County Borough Council Planning Office dated 18/10/96)

Darland Hall   Grade II

Click here to view Darland Hall

Location: Darland   Postcode: LL12 0BA   Street: Darland Lane   Side of Street: S

Located to the south of Darland Lane approximately 1km off the B5445 Chester Road, set back in its own garden.
Map - opens in new window


Multi-period small country house and extended from earlier cottage of 1636 to the south-west now attached to the Hall. Said to have originated as a late C16 hall built for a goldsmith of Chester.

Held by a Mr Maddock from 1742 until 1786 when the Topham family, who owned and developed Aintree racecourse, acquired the property until 1918. It is believed that they developed much of the Hall to be the building it is today and the surrounding developments of the pond, the pergola and gazebo to the rear garden, Darland Hall Farm and the farm buildings attached to the western end of the Hall and Cottage.

Sold by the Duckworth family in 1955 and divided into four flats though substantially unaltered by division as much of the Hall remains in single occupancy with three flats to the western end.


Three storeys, rendered brick under pitched slate roof. String course divides storeys to gabled front elevation. Asymmetrically located front door with single height stone Ionic portico with bracketed cornice. Two large bay windows to rear elevation.

Recent single storey flat roofed extension to the eastern end connects with former Roman Catholic chapel now in seperate ownership and converted to residential use as part of Darland Hey.

To the western end, and at right angles to the principal facade is a former stable block to an earlier building of rendered brick, with string course to eastern elevation and with a date stone inscribed 'NM 1769' placed under the keystone of a filled in carriage entrance. Hipped slate roof.

To the rear of the stable block is the cottage with date stone inscribed 'IA 1636 IA' with farm buildings to the west, the nearest section having been converted to residential use.


Pine 'veneer' half panelling to the entrance hall from which rises a fine early C19 staircase, rising full height with turned balusters and S-shaped tread ends.

Retains many High Victorian fireplaces, original six-panelled doors and plain plaster cornices.

Listed Description

Listed for its special interest as a multi-period house, with C17 origins, and retaining good C19 interior details.