Listed Buildings -> Trevalyn Hospital (formerly known as Trevalyn House)

(Information originally supplied by Wrexham County Borough Council Planning Office dated 18/10/96)

Trevalyn Hospital (formerly known as Trevalyn House)   Grade II

Awaiting photograph

Location: Trevalyn   Street: Manor Lane   Side of Street: SE

Located off a private drive from Manor Lane which joins the B5445 Chester Road at the Alyn Bridge. Set within an important garden and pleasure ground including associated structures.
Map - opens in new window

History

C18 house begun in 1754, architect unknown. Later extensions include bays to ground floor front elevation, and extension to east and north, all circa 1890-1900 when in the ownership of the Townsend family. Conversion to Hospital post-1945 has entailed some internal division, extensive additions to the western side, and light infilling of central section of principal facade.

Exterior

Three storeys, red brick with stone dressings, pitched slate roof hidden behind rendered parapet. Rusticated stone quoins, plinth and cornice. Twelve-pane sliding sash windows to projecting end bays of main facade, nine-pane to top floor with six to central section, all with stone heads marked with voussoirs. original front stone door-frame with consoled cornice to architrave has had Roman Doric portico added later and subsequently enclosed by new glazed extension approx. 1960's. Some c1900 rainwater goods.

Interior

Entrance hall has c1900 inglenook fireplace in classical revival style. To the left is a fine c1900 staircase with turned balusters and foliated carving to cut-string. To rear bedroom is a fine Adam Revival white and yellow marble fireplace with decorative cast-iron firebacks. Elsewhere much original carpentry and Edwardian plaster work to ceilings.

Listed Description

Listed as a mid-C18 small country-house which, notwithstanding conversion, retains good internal detail.

 

Comments

No Comments have been Posted.

Post Comment

Please Login to Post a Comment.