Listed Buildings -> Former stable block to NE of Trevalyn Hospital

(Information originally supplied by Wrexham County Borough Council Planning Office dated 18/10/96)

Former stable block to NE of Trevalyn Hospital   Grade II

Awaiting photograph

Location: Trevalyn   Postcode: LL12 0HL   Street: Manor Lane   Side of Street: SE

Located to the south-east of Trevalyn Hall and to the north-east of Trevalyn House, reached by a private drive from Manor Lane.

History

Built as the stable block to trevalyn House of 1754 with which it is probably contemporary though Hubbard argues for early Victorian.

Exterior

Two-storey red-brick with stone dressings, under a pitched slate roof. In plan an open courtyard with walled and (later) gated entrance to west. South block was a coach and stable accommodation with large stone dressed arched openings with a single keystone to first storey and alternating small thermal windows with three keystones to the second storey. Storeys are delineated by a wide stone string course. The central block, to the east, is of three bays with the central bay projecting into the cobbled courtyard and surmounted by an open triangular pediment. In the opening of the pediment is a circulr window probably to have received a clock. Later weathervane to the top of the pediment. The north block is unfenestered at second floor level and to the rear gives onto a further stable yard and the west wall of the former kitched garden.

Interior

Largely unaltered and retains nesting holes of former dovecote to rear of central entrance.

Listed Description

Listed as a well-preserved example of an C18 coach house, contemporary with Trevalyn House, now Trevalyn Hospital.

 

Comments

No Comments have been Posted.

Post Comment

Please Login to Post a Comment.
email: ubdtpx