Listed Buildings -> Trevalyn Hall (including former lodge)

(Information originally supplied by Wrexham County Borough Council Planning Office dated 18/10/96)

Trevalyn Hall (including former lodge)   Grade II*

Click here to view Trevalyn Hall (including former lodge)

Location: Trevalyn   Postcode: LL12 0HH   Street: Chester Road   Side of Street: SE

Situated in its own grounds set back, and to the south east, of Chester Road (B5102)
Map - opens in new window

History

Built in 1576 for John Trevor of the Trevor family of Brynkinalt. Designer unknown but suggested by Mark Girouard to have been John Trevor himself with the assistance of master-mason Walter Hancock of Much Wenlock.

The Trevors claim descent from the C10 Welsh prince Tudor Trevor. John Trevor's great-grandfather, Richard Trevor, had originally acquired the estate by marriage to Matilda, daughter and heiress of Jenkyn ap David ap Griffith of Trevalyn. John Trevor made his fortune in London largely through the patronage of the powerful Thomas Sackville, the Lord Buckhurst and Earl of Dorset, who was his wife's cousin. He also held a few minor government posts as recorded on his monument in the parish church at Gresford. With Sackville he is assumed to have made a grand tour of France and Italy between about 1563 and 1566, and again to France in 1568 and 1571.

Of his four sons only one, Richard, spent time at Trevalyn and even then preferred to stay at another house built by his father, Roft Hall, in Marford (demolished).

In the 1670's the family inherited Glynde Place in Sussex which henceforward became their principal seat and Trevalyn was occupied by a succession of stewards and agents.

In 1836 descendants through marriage, Thomas and Elizabeth Griffith, moved in and made extensive alterations internally and externally. These included the re-siting of the Porter's Lodge, creation of a topiary garden to the north-east, and extensive internal alterations by the local architect Thomas Jones.

Sold in the 1980's and converted into two flats involving extensive works to the interior and brickwork.

Listed Description