Listed Buildings -> Rossett Mill

(Information originally supplied by Wrexham County Borough Council Planning Office dated 18/10/96)

Rossett Mill (Previously Known as 'Rossett Old Mill')   Grade II*

Click here to view Rossett Mill

Location: Rossett   Postcode: LL12 0HH   Street: Chester Road (B5102)   Side of Street: NW

Situated slightly back from the north-west of the B5102 Chester Road and to the north of the main village of Rossett. Stands in its own grounds with new stable developments to the rear south of the Alyn Bridge.
Map - opens in new window


A mill for the villagers of Allington, Gresford, Burton and Llay was first built on this site in 1544. Intended as a 'free' mill to rival the King's Mill at Marford on the opposie side of the road, the original mill was demolished sometime within the next 40 years.

A new mill, the current building, was built in 1588, and extended in 1661 around which time Sir John Trevor of Trevalyn Hall acquired both mills.

In 1710 the millwright Robert Konrick undertook extensive repairs to the floors and waterwall. Further extensions took place in the 1820's. The mill was sketched by Turner in 1795.


Two storeys, one on accretative H-plan with timber box-framed central sections, and limited stone dressings on irregular stone base. Pitch slate roof with new skylights. The earliest part of the mill, to the north dating from 1588, houses the driving machinery including pit wheel, wallower, and large spur wheel. Newly formed stone steps up to former cart entrance and large stone quoins. Roff braces exposed to gable end.

Central section of 1661 is box-frame on stone plinth with dated dormer over porch. Quatrefoil timber decoration over main door. Western section is 19th century, of brick construction with filled-in cart door to form window. Single storey extension to west cross-wing.


Internal inspection not possible at time of re-survey in 1995.

Listed Description

Listed as an exceptionally fine example of a 16th century timber-framed undershot corn mill

hidden: nihofq