View Photo

Photo Albums > Around the Village > Rossett Mill - the 'classic' view First photo Previous Photo Next Photo Last photo
Rossett Mill - the 'classic' view
Probably Rossett's most famous building! A mill for the villagers of Allington, Gresford, Burton and Llay was first built on this site in 1544. Intended as a 'free' mill to rival the King's Mill at Marford on the opposite side of the road, the original mill was demolished sometime within the next 40 years.

A new mill, the current building, was built in 1588, and extended in 1661 around which time Sir John Trevor of Trevalyn Hall acquired both mills.

In 1710 the millwright Robert Konrick undertook extensive repairs to the floors and waterwall. Further extensions took place in the 1820's. The mill was sketched by Turner in 1795.

The Lewis family worked the mill for many generations until 1959 when the mill stopped grinding corn after an impressive 475 years' flour production.

Date: 14/09/2004 13:00
Added by: steveA
Dimensions: 500 x 375 pixels
Filesize: 30.52kB
Comments: 0
Number of views: 1466

Comments

No Comments have been Posted.

Post Comment

Please Login to Post a Comment.